Sunday, August 3, 2014

I Eat Meat Plantain Chips RS Part 4

Back to the 6-parter!  Enjoy... -Tim

 

Dehydrated Plantain Chips


dehydrated plantain chips are simple to make
Dehydrated plantain chips are a simple to prepare resistant starch food. They are portable and pair well with many other foods. I enjoy them plain or mixed in yogurt.


Making Dehydrated Plantain Chips
If you are wanting the chips to have a high resistant starch (RS) content choose the greenest plantains you can find. Store the plantains in a cool, airy spot until you are ready to use them. Heat and storing them in a bag will encourage them to ripen – which decreases the RS content.
Peal and slice thinly. I use my Adjust-A-Slice Mandoline on the number 2 setting. Arrange the slices in a single layer in your dehydrator and salt lightly. I use Nesco 500-Watt Food Dehydrator, but any dehydrator should work.
Turn on the dehydrator. It only takes about one hour in my dehydrator. The chips are done when they curl slightly and break easily.
Enjoy
I put these in a jar in the pantry. Accessible for me and my family. Plus, I bring them along on car rides to reduce the temptation to purchase other snacks. I really enjoy eating these chips with a few pieces of dark chocolate.
Green Plantains are one of the highest sources of resistant starch and can be found at nearly any grocery store. Have you tried incorporating RS into your diet? I’m finding it to be nothing short of amazing. – improved digestion, energy and sleep.
Follow all the latest RS developments at Free the Animal. I think we will continue to see the benefit of adding RS to our diet.