Monday, June 20, 2016

Jack LaLanne's New Website!

Jack LaLanne's (1914-2011) wife (La La) and son (Jon) recently started a website (JackLaLanne.com) devoted to Jack's timeless advice on health, nutrition, and exercise. My friends and family know that I have been a HUGE fan of Jack for many years.

MuscleProdigy.com (Good article here!)




Jack LaLanne pretty much single-handedly started the fitness industry in the 1930's in Southern California where he opened gyms and invented most of the fitness equipment you see in gyms today.  Heard of the "Smith Machine?" That was all Jack's idea. He later licensed all his fitness centers and equipment licenses to Bally Total Fitness. Later, he went on to invent an electric juicer, The Jack LaLanne Power Juicer, one of the most popular still available and much better than the copycats. I have one that I use often.

Jack had a great philosophy on life, he believed we make our own way...our own health.  And it starts with diet and exercise:

Exercise is King, nutrition is Queen, put them together and you’ve got a kingdom.

and:

Don't exceed the feed limit!

Jack ate a plant-based diet, but was not "vegan." He, like many of us here, saw the amazing health benefits of plants. If anyone wants to read a great book, full of diet advice and advice on how to live healthily to a ripe old age, you must read: Live Young Forever: 12 Steps to Optimum Health, Fitness and Longevity. Written by Jack just two years before he passed away at age 96.


Jack started the first fitness show on TV, The Jack LaLanne Show, which ran from 1953-1985. There used to be illegal copies of the show all over YouTube, but the family took them down due to copyright infringements.

Recently, Jack's surviving family started a new website, Jack LaLanne.com, and are starting to re-post all his old videos.  Go check out the website and the Jack LaLanne YouTube channel.  Like and Follow to get the newest releases. If nothing else, it's great motivation.

A sample from the videos portion of the website:


Enjoy!
Tim


5 comments:

  1. We watched Jack way back in the late 50s/early 60s - cool dude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for highlighting this - I shall Definitely be watching the videos later. You have mentioned some of Jacks wisdom before regarding not eating tough to digest meats - which I still stick to

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was reading just now about him from your links. It appears that the term "jumping Jacks" stems from him! Isn't that fascinating!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I met Jack once at a restaurant in Malibu, a couple of years before he passed away. My wife and were sitting in front of a fireplace in the lounge, enjoying ourselves and laughing quite a bit. Then out of the corner of my eye I see this dapper-looking guy with a sweater over his shoulders and dark glasses pushed up on his head, coming over to us, smiling, and he says, "You sound like you're having way too much fun!" I did a double-take when I saw who it was. Of course I said something brilliant like, "Oh my God, you're Jack LaLanne!" I jumped up out of my chair and had a short but nice conversation with him. As he was leaving, we shook hands. People don't believe me when I say this, but it was like grabbing on to a electrical cable of positive energy. I literally felt that hand shake vibrating through my body for two hours afterwards. I've met a lot of world class athletes, but there is no one like Jack. I doubt we will see his equal any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim, you grew up watching Jack LaLanne and jumping around while I was trying to exercise with him on TV every morning. He must have worked his way into your soul! Interesting to read how he affected others, too.
      Your cousin,Bonnie, started the Potato Hack last week. Will let you know how she is doing.
      Mom

      Delete